Tuesday 3 May 2011

My second day........DOS man and I took a train ride followed by a river boat ride to Ko Rattanakosin (Royal Island). We walked through the road market taking in the wares on offer.........
Guess what was already on sale? 
Pictures, postcards et al of Prince William and Kate Middleton, the  new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge..........Technology eh!
After trawling the market and restraining from buying anything, we made our way to Wat Pho Buddhist temple. I had read a little bit about the museum; it"s the oldest and largest Buddhist temple in Bangkok and (the real reason of our visit) has the longest reclining Buddha in Thailand - the statue measures at 46m (151 ft) long and 15m (49 ft) high. It was breathtaking! 
I'm not sure what it's made of inside but outside, outside it's made of gold leaf with Mother-of-pearl inlays on the feet  displaying the one hundred and eight different auspicious characteristics of a Buddha
And like a tourist, I did the tourist thing (photographed myself silly!)
Reclining Buddha.........snap!
Statues of little Buddhas.....snap!
Outside the galleries...........snap!
Inside the galleries...........snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment